Two important things I have been thinking of:
1. I have a lot of bananas in my freezer.
2. I eat a lot of oatmeal, probably 4-5 times a week. Oatmeal is my breakfast. It’s one of the only things that keeps me full. In my second year of college, I ate oatmeal twice a day. Due to my lack of funds, eating oatmeal was one of the cheapest options. This also tends to make one get really, really sick of oatmeal. It was a while before I could eat it without feeling sick. But, now I’m back on the oatmeal train…with a ton of new ingredients mixed in! No bowl of oatmeal is every the same.
As much as I enjoy oatmeal again, it’s nice to break up the routine every once in a while. I was falling asleep on Sunday night, thinking about what different thing I could make for breakfast on Monday morning and then I remembered seeing Angela’s recipe for spelt pancakes for one. I was on my own for breakfast, so it sounded like a perfect option! I made a few modifications to the recipe, and it turned out great!
Spelt Pancakes for One, adapted from Angela
- 1/2 cup of spelt flour, or any flour of your choice
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 a banana
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbls ground flax seeds
- a splash of vanilla extract
- 3 tbls brown rice powder
- a sprinkle of salt.
This is pretty standard and easy. Place all the ingredients into the mixing vessel of your choice and stir until just incorported.
Lightly spray a pan with cooking spray and pour the batter in.
Flip when golden brown and slightly crispy on the edges!
I had peanut butter, jam, coconut butter and chia seeds on mine and it was an excellent combo!
The thing I liked most about these pancakes was that they were the fluffiest vegan pancakes I have ever made. The baking powder really gives them the extra lift that’s missing from the eggs. The extras that I added, banana, cinnamon and vanilla really added to the flavor of the pancakes as well. It also made just enough pancakes for me. I even have one giant one left over.
Thanks Angela! I was a happy camper yesterday morning!