I really, really like it when dishes work out on the fly. I was reading my new cookbook about how to braise meats (I’m learning braising this semester in school too!) and decided to braise some chicken legs for my sister and I tonight. After a trip to the store, here’s what I came up with.
Braised Chicken Legs with Fennel and Onion
2 chicken legs
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon sweet paprika
2 tablespoons canola oil
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup white wine (your favorite!)
squeeze of lemon
1-2 teaspoon brown sugar
1 small bulb fennel, thinly sliced
1/2 a large onion, thinly sliced
salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Combine flour, salt, pepper and paprika in a shallow bowl.
3. Place a pot (I used my Le Creuset!) on the stove on medium high heat.
4. Remove skin from chicken legs if not skinless. Dredge chicken legs in flour.
5. Add oil and butter to pot and when butter melts, add chicken. Brown well on both sides and then remove from pot.
6. Add wine to pot. Be careful, you pot will hiss and spit when you add the wine to it. Then, add the lemon juice and brown sugar, adjusting the brown sugar to the sweetness of your liking. Add fennel and onion and then add the chicken back into the pot. Taste and add salt and pepper as necessary.
7. Place lid on pot and bake in oven for about 20 minutes, or until the internal temperature is 165°F.
I got to use my new mandoline slicer to slice my onion and fennel. My Type A personality loves how all the slices are uniform! It was so easy to use. I rarely splurge on buying fennel, but it just sounded so good in the store that I went for it. The sauce is really the star here; it’s bright from the lemon, acidic from the wine and slightly sweet/ carmely from the brown sugar. The chicken gets very tender from simmering in the juices and the fennel and onions soak up the sauce quite nicely. I served ours with saffron quinoa and steamed broccoli. Delish! And it only took me about 30 minutes to put together before it went into the oven.
Hope you had a relaxing day! Be well & happy eating!