Need something to make with the boat-loads of candied citrus peel you made? Make these muffins! I love fresh cranberries in muffins and quick breads because they pop and leave little pockets of tangy and tart berry all over the muffins. The candied lemon and orange peels also add a pleasant tangy flavor too.
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
a pinch of salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup canola oil
4 ounces unsweetened applesauce
3/4 cup milk (cow or plant, your choice)
1 and 1/4 cup fresh cranberries
1/2 cup candied citrus peel (I used my lemon and orange peel.)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Place eggs and sugar in stand mixer with a whip attachment. Whip until the mixture turns pale yellow/white and doubles in volume. Add remaining wet ingredients, oil, applesauce, and milk.
- Combine dry ingredients in a bowl. Mix together.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Mix until just incorporated. Fold in cranberries and citrus peel.
- Greased muffin tin. Divide batter amongst the muffins tins and bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.