My friend Elaine made me enchiladas last week and these are my spin on them. Feel free to adjust the amount of chipotles in adobo, depending on how spicy you like your food. The cream cheese adds a cooling creamy component that will help tame the spice too. Serve with guacamole, sour cream or your favorite Mexican beer!
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
1 medium yellow pepper, diced
1 medium red pepper, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 generous teaspoon ground cumin
1 generous teaspoon chile powder
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon salt
2 chipotles in adobo, minced plus 1 tablespoon sauce
1 15 ounce can unsalted black beans
1 15 ounce can unsalted kidney beans
1/3 package reduced fat cream cheese
12 small corn tortillas
1 16 ounce jar of your favorite salsa
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Heat a pan over medium heat. Add oil and then add onions and peppers. Sauté until onions are translucent.
2. Add spices, garlic and chipotles in adobo. Sauté briefly and then add beans.
3. Add cream cheese and stir until well incorporated throughout the mixture.
4. Lightly spray a 9×13 pan with non-stick spray. Pour 1/4 cup salsa in the pan and spread all along the bottom.
5. Microwave corn tortillas for 45 seconds. Place 3 tablespoons of the bean/cream cheese mixture in the tortilla and roll up. Place in pan. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
6. Pour remaining salsa over the top of stuffed tortillas. Sprinkle cheese over top and bake until ingredients are heated through and cheese is melted on top, about 15 minutes.